logo banner

plans and elevations banner 2

home page button About us page our services buttondo you need plansdesign process button fees and charges page Contact form button
  Do I Need Planning Permission?

Do I need planning permission to build an extension? click here>>
Do I need planning permission to build a loft conversion? click here>>

Don't assume that your project will automatically need planning permission. Many alterations do not. This depends on what you want to build, Some minor alterations and extensions to houses, can often be carried out without the need for full planning permission. This is known as 'permitted development' or applying for a lawful development certificate.

if you are extending your property you should always check this out. Why not click on one of the links above to find out more or contact us to discus your proposal, or talk to your local planning department at your local authority they should be able to advise you.

Even if you have had no previous extensions, here are some examples of the type of extensions that in most cases need full planning permission, to give you an idea:

  • A dormer window in the roof of your house facing the road;
  • A two story extension;
  • A extension to the front of your house, or to the side if it faces a road.

Impotant ! It is recommended that you gain a Certificate of Lawfulness to prove that your project conforms to the conditions set out above. contact us for further information.

Whether you need planning permission to alter or extend your house depends on the size and position of what you want to do. You may need to know the volume of your proposed extension or an existing extension. 

Most alterations to business premises do need planning permission.

>>Click to see example of our plans

>>Get your quote online here

Popular pages
3d Plans
Double storey Plans
Single storey plans
House Extension Plans
Loft Conversion Plans
News and information
Structural Calculations
Building Regulation Plans
What's Included









Useful Downloads

This booklet has been produced by the Department to explain in simple terms how the Party Wall etc Act 1996 ("the Act") may affect someone who either wishes to carry out work covered by the Act (the "Building Owner"), or receives notification under the Act of proposed adjacent work (the "Adjoining Owner").



This booklet provides an introduction to the Building Regulations in England and Wales and is intended for anyone proposing to carry out building projects. It is not a statement of the law but is intended to help you to understand the system.


This booklet gives a simplified guide to those aspects of the planning system which the householder is most likely to encounter. Revised version published June 2006.



  follow us contact us site Popular pages
  • 02075030360
  • 07984411708
  • Site-map

    Loft Conversion Plans
    House Extension Plans
    Structural Calculations