From 1 October 2008 an extension or addition
to your home will be considered to be permitted development,
not requiring an application for Full planning permission,
(It is recommended that you gain a
Certificate of Lawfulness to prove that your project
conforms to the conditions set out below.
contact us for
subject to the limits and
conditions set out below:
• More than half the area of land around
the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other
• No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation
fronting a highway.
• No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
• Maximum depth of a single-storey rear extension of three metres
for an attached house and four metres for a detached house.
• Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.
• Maximum depth of a rear extension of more than one storey of three
metres including ground floor.
• Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the
boundary of three metres.
• Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than
• Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four
metres and width no more than half that of the original house.
• Two-storey extensions no closer than seven metres to rear
• Roof pitch of extensions higher than one storey to match existing
• Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.
• No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
• Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening
to be 1.7m above the floor.
• On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions
of more than one storey.
• On designated* land no cladding of the exterior.
• On designated* land no side extensions.
Building regulations will still apply
We provide full
building control services for your home
extension that is required to demonstrate design
and safety compliance
BUILDING REGULATIONS EXPLANATORY BOOKLET
This booklet provides an
introduction to the Building Regulations in
England and Wales and is intended for anyone
proposing to carry out building projects. It is
not a statement of the law but is intended to
help you to understand the system.
portal website provide up to the minuet planning information
they have developed an interactive tool to allow you to
establish what type of permission you may require just click on
the image below.